CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
Fiscal Year 2003
The Capital Planning Committee worked diligently with Department Heads this past summer to pare down an initial list of capital needs well over a $1,000,000. The Committee then worked to prioritize that list of items not knowing how much free cash would be available to fund the Town’s capital improvement needs. Those items that made the cut were then published in article form on the warrant which was mailed to all residents of the Town at the beginning of November. Because of financial constraints, not all of the items on the warrant were funded.
Nevertheless, the November 18, 2002 Special Town Meeting did appropriate money for the following capital items:
1. Multi-purpose tractor with an extension for cutting roadsides and detention basins.
2. Pick-up truck for the Highway Dept.
3. Replacement of a boiler at the South School.
4. Two Police Cruisers.
5. $100,000 for improvements to the Town’s infrastructure.
6. $10,000 for the continuing implementation of a Geographic Information System
7. A vehicle for the Sewer Dept.
8. $311,727 for equipping the renovated Merrill School and covering unforeseen