RAYNHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Raynham Public Library dates back to 1888. On April 7th of that year, 93 citizens signed the library’s first report recognizing that a town with a library can offer more to its citizens. The 93 supporters stated that their well-equipped library would be “…free, under proper conditions, to every person regardless of sex, creed, or color.” The Raynham Library Association was thus established.
The library was housed in various locations around the town until 1949 when the present library building was dedicated. In 1961, the library transformed the lower floor into a Children’s Room. In 1971, the library facility was expanded and again, in 1991, the latest addition to the library was completed.
The library is run by a board of twelve directors headed by a president. The directors are elected from the membership of the Raynham Library Association. Any resident of Raynham interested in helping the library is eligible for membership in the Raynham Library Association.
In 1988, a Friends of the Raynham Library group was formed. The Friends help support the library by sponsoring museum passes for patrons, holding book sales and other fund raising activities for the library, organizing and helping at special events and programs, and often purchasing useful items and equipment for the library.
The library became a member of the SAILS network in August, 2001. The SAILS network connects 60 libraries in the Eastern Subregion of Massachusetts and provides a great resource sharing program between the libraries. Automating the Raynham Public Library was a major step in providing well-equipped library services to the citizens of our town.
The Raynham Public Library offers several programs for children including: story hours, monthly movie nights, and holiday craft days.