MINUTES OF THE RAYNHAM PARK & RECREATION COMMISSION
Regular Monthly Meeting, Feb. 7, 2017, 6:00 p.m.
South School, 305 South Street East, Raynham, MA
In Attendance: Chairman Jim Brow, Commissioner Chris Shaw, Director Elizabeth Francis, and Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary SJ Blanchard.
Absent: Commissioner Jim Sullivan.
Chairman Jim Brow called the meeting to order at 6:06 p.m. Chris S. made a motion to approve the minutes of the Jan. 3, 2017 meeting. Jim B. seconded the motion and the two voted in favor.
Liz reported that she has conferred with Highway Supt. Ed Buckley relative to the Pleasant Street basketball courts. The paving there will be done by PJ Keating Co. of Lunenburg and Acushnet, MA through the regional bidding process. Removal of the existing fencing and asphalt will be done by the town grounds crew, however, Liz wants to leave the fencing up until the project work begins, which she estimates will be closer to the summer months. The sub-base and grading will be done by a sub-contractor, and then Keating will put down the final 3 to 4 inches of asphalt. Finally, the lines will be painted by another contractor.
Liz also noted that the fencing along the third base line on Field 1 will remain for the time being.
Liz reported on the following:
- She will be seeking two bids from the state bid list and a third bid from a local contractor for the replacing of the roof, as well as re-siding the garage at the rental house. The roof work will entail stripping the existing roof tiles and replacing any rot in the sub-layer prior to re-shingling. One garage window will be sided over during the work.
- Either the Arruda or the multi-purpose field will be rested this year.
- She is waiting to hear from the state relative to the site inspection as part of the relicensing of the before-school childcare program at the Merrill School.
The following spring field-use requests were acted on:
- Raynham Youth Soccer requests the use of the multi-use field and the Burke, ML Arruda, Griffiths soccer fields on weekday afternoons and evenings and all day on weekends from April 1 to June 30, 2017. Chris made a motion to approve this request; Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor.
- Raynham Youth Lacrosse requests the use of the RMS baseball, football/soccer, softball, and upper fields, as well as the South School field, the Legion soccer field, and the Borden Colony multi-purpose field on weekday evenings and weekend mornings between April 1 and June 30, 2017. Chris made a motion to approve this request; Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor.
- Mass Rough Riders Inc. requests the use of the horse ring/gymkhana building for the 2017 season. Chris made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $550; Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor.
- Raynham Flag Football requests the use of the Bettencourt football field and the Borden Colony multi-purpose field on Sundays from May 7 to June 18, 2017. Chris made a motion to approve this request with a fee to be set upon receipt of the organization’s roster and the field assignment to be determined. Jim B. seconded the motion and the two voted in favor.
- The Over-the-Hill Soccer League +56 and +63 teams request the use of the ML Arruda soccer field on Sundays from 8 to 11 a.m. from March 26 to June 25, 2017. Chris made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $550 per team; Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor.
- Raynham Masters / Over-the-Hill Soccer League requests the use of the Burke and ML Arruda soccer fields and the multi-purpose field from 8 to 10 on Sunday mornings between March 25 and June 10, 2017. Chris made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $550; Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor.
- The Raynham Ravens Adult Baseball League requests the use of the McKenney Babe Ruth field for ten weekend dates starting in May through August or September (schedule not yet available) from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Liz noted that RYBSA usually does not use this field on Saturday mornings, but to date, its schedule has not been received. Chris made a motion to approve this request, pending no schedule conflicts, with a $1,100 field-use fee. Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor.
- The East Coast Bulls Baseball requests the use of the McKenney Babe Ruth field from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays or Sundays between April 1 and July 30, 2017. Chris made a motion to approve this request, pending no schedule conflicts, with a $550 field-use fee. Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor.
- TOPIC representative Craig Tremblay requests the use of the horse ring/gymkhana building, gazebo and surrounding lawn area for a Native American powwow to be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 24 and 25, 2017 (with set-up on Friday, June 23). Chris made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $540; Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor.
The Chairman reported that the bent signage adjacent to the Bettencourt scoreboard has been fixed.
Chris submitted the Feb. 6, 2017 certificate for his successful completion of the state’s conflict of interest review and evaluation.
SJ presented information about the Stanton Foundation, which provides grant money to Massachusetts municipalities for the construction of dog parks. According to a recent article in the Boston Sunday Globe, West Bridgewater is currently in its local approvals process, having been awarded a Stanton Foundation grant to cover 90% of its proposed dog park’s estimated $100,000 cost.
Commissioners reviewed the current childcare rates in consideration of establishing rates for the 2017-18 school year. Liz stated that according to the parameters set forth by the MA Department of Early Education and Care, the amounts charged privately must be equal to or exceed the state’s reimbursement amounts. The 2017 figures are $7.94 per day for before-school care and $16.68 per day for after-school care, or $24.62 for both. Currently, we are charging $9 per day for before-school care and $17 per day for after-school care.
It is Liz’s recommendation that these rates remain in effect, with the hope that the state’s new rates won’t exceed them. The Commissioners concurred. Chris made a motion to maintain the current childcare fee schedule for the 2017-18 school year. Jim B. seconded and the two voted in favor of the motion.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:04 p.m.
SJ Blanchard, Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary