MINUTES OF THE RAYNHAM PARK & RECREATION COMMISSION
Regular Monthly Meeting, March 7, 2017, 6:00 p.m.
South School, 305 South Street East, Raynham, MA
In Attendance: Chairman Jim Brow, Commissioner Chris Shaw, Commissioner Jim Sullivan, Director Elizabeth Francis, and Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary SJ Blanchard.
Chairman Jim Brow called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Chris S. made a motion to approve the minutes of the Feb. 7, 2017 meeting. Jim B. seconded the motion and the two voted in favor. Jim Sullivan abstained from voting as he had not been present at the Feb. 7 meeting.
Liz reported on the following:
- She made a site inspection to the garage at the 2000 King Philip Street rental house and found it to be “not in bad shape.” The deadline for bids for its re-siding is March 24. She has received one bid from Mosman Home Improvement and has solicited bids from B & D and Loughton Construction. Loughton asked that she consider a complete demolition of the existing garage and replacing it with a new steel building, at an estimated cost of $30,000. Liz pointed out that that kind of money it not in the budget, and Jim B. added that what is currently there has been deemed structurally sound. The plan is to side over any broken garage windows and then next year, to replace the garage doors.
- She will work with Highway Supt. Ed Buckley to develop a timeline for the proposed summertime work at the Pleasant Street basketball courts. The sub-surface work will be put out to bid if it cannot be done by the paver. The Chairman asked about new fencing around the perimeter of the courts. Liz replied that it will depend upon the total cost of the other work and that a temporary solution to keeping vehicles off the courts would be to place boulders around it. Wooden guardrails may also prove to be cost-effective.
- TOPIC representative Craig Tremblay has contacted Liz about the field-use price increase assessed for this year’s powwow. She explained to him that the additional charge is for the third day that the area is used for the event’s set-up.
- She has met with Giants Football president Jeremy Melusky. The two discussed RMS field repairs, and the fact that the Giants organization has fewer dates lined up which will require lit fields. Melusky also outlined plans to move the flagpole at Bettencourt Field, the replacement of lavatory doors, and the possibility of putting in additional bleachers to the right and left of midfield.
The following spring field-use requests were acted on:
- Raynham Youth Baseball and Softball Association (RYBSA) requests the use of the Merrill baseball complex/fields 1 - 7 for the NE Regional Baseball Tournament, to be held July 14 – 24 from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Liz indicated that there are no conflicts with these dates. Chris made a motion to approve this request; Jim S. seconded and a unanimous vote followed.
- RYBSA requests the use of the McKenney and Burke Babe Ruth fields and the Merrill baseball complex/fields 1-7 for its March 1st through Sept. 1st 2017 season. Chris made a motion to approve this request; Jim S. seconded and a unanimous vote followed.
The Easton Baptist Church Men’s Softball group requests the use of the Borden Colony softball field on Mondays at 5 p.m. between the dates of April 15 and Aug. 15, 2017. Chris made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $825; Jim S. seconded and a unanimous vote followed.
Sunday Morning Softball requests the use of the Borden Colony softball field and Reid softball field from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sundays from April 23 to Oct. 8, 2017. Liz noted that field rakers have in the past been driving their vehicles onto the field, wrecking the plates. Jim S. stated that this issue has been addressed and will not recur. Chris made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $1,650. Jim S. seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
Coyle-Cassidy High School requests the use of the McKenney Babe Ruth field for 10 home baseball games scheduled between April 6 and May 23, 2017 from 2:30 to 5 p.m. Jim S. made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $550; Chris S. seconded and a unanimous vote followed.
Jim S. asked about new home plates and Liz responded that six arrived today for placement at the Reid, Borden Colony and Merrill ball fields. In addition, she said that new bleachers will be installed at Reid.
Liz said that new split-rail fencing will be installed at Borden Colony extending to the softball field, with new gates installed in front of the McKenney Babe Ruth and Borden Colony softball fields, as well as a new locking gate at the parking area near there.
Liz distributed for review copies of the department’s quarterly accounting reports ending Dec. 31, 2016, adding that “we’re where we need to be at the half-year point.”
She announced that the spring brochures should be out next week and then work will start on the summer programming. The youth basketball championships will take place on March 18.
Chris S. made a motion to table the regular meeting at 6:37 p.m. in order to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of contract negotiations. At the conclusion, the regular meeting will be reconvened for the sole purpose of adjournment. Jim S. seconded the motion and each Commissioner voted in favor. At this point, SJ Blanchard was dismissed from the meeting.
Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary