MINUTES OF THE RAYNHAM PARK & RECREATION COMMISSION
Regular Monthly Meeting, June 6, 2017, 6:00 p.m.
South School, 305 South Street East, Raynham, MA
In Attendance: Chairman Jim Brow, Commissioner Josh Daisy, Commissioner Chris Shaw, Director Andrea Berardi, and Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary SJ Blanchard.
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 6:05 p.m. Chris S. made a motion to approve the minutes of the May 2, 2017 meeting. Josh D. seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
Under “Old Business,” Andrea reminded the Commission that a field-use fee needs to be set for the previously-approved RYBSA’s summer tournament, to be held July 15 – 21, 2017 on field nos. 4 – 7. Chris S. made a motion to set the fee at $1,500; Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
Andrea reported on the following:
- Relative to the repairs necessary to the garage at the 2000 King Philip Street rental house, she is awaiting a bid covering just the re-siding work from local contractor Mosman Home Improvement.
- Twenty resumes have been received to date as a result of the job posting for childcare administrator. The application deadline is Friday, June 9, and she hopes to conduct interviews next week.
The following summer field-use request was acted on:
- Raynham Youth Baseball & Softball Association (RYBSA) requests the use of the RMS softball field for a tournament to be held June 22 – 25, 2017. Chris made a motion to approve this request with a field-use fee of $1,000; Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
The Commission set the following 6-month meeting schedule: July 11, Aug. 8, Sept. 5, Oct. 3, Nov. 7, and Dec. 5, 2017. All meetings will be held at the South School, 305 South Street East, Raynham, and will begin at 6 p.m.
Chris noted that the exterior of the second floor of the RYBSA concession stand has been recently sided and that it looks nice. He wondered aloud whether the Park & Rec office had been made aware of this renovation in advance, and whether the new RYBSA board is aware of the department’s prior project approval procedures. He stated that he will contact RYBSA and let them know of this required process. Raynham Giants Football has refused to contribute towards the window replacement at the concession stand, insisting that it is the town’s responsibility. Jim said that he will speak to them about this. In a similar vein, the Giants had a bathroom door repaired at the concession stand and has paid a large portion of the resulting charges. They are asking that the town and RYBSA pay the
remainder of this bill.
Andrea presented two summer program scholarship requests received by the office:
- A single mother with three children requests assistance for their full-day attendance so that she can work. All three children attended the April school vacation fun club gratis. The family receives free school lunches and has just started receiving child support. Chris made a motion to offer the family a 50% reduction of weekly fees for each child. Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
- A single mother on disability who has received 50% assistance for one child over the last three summers again seeks help in order to send her child for 5 weeks of full days. Chris made a motion to again offer a 50% reduction of fees. Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
Chris asked whether there have been any complaints on field conditions, given the fact that frequent rains have hampered the field maintenance schedule. Andrea reported that there have been no complaints brought to her attention.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:27 p.m.
Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary