MINUTES OF THE RAYNHAM PARK & RECREATION COMMISSION
Regular Monthly Meeting, July 11, 2017, 6:00 p.m.
South School, 305 South Street East, Raynham, MA
In Attendance: Commissioner Josh Daisy, Commissioner Chris Shaw, Director Andrea Berardi, and Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary SJ Blanchard. Chairman Jim Brow arrived at 6:14 p.m.
The meeting was called to order at 6:08 p.m. by Chris Shaw in light of the Chairman’s anticipated late arrival. Chris S. made a motion to approve the minutes of the June 6, 2017 meeting. Josh D. seconded the motion and the two voted in favor of the motion.
Andrea reported on the following:
- She anticipates that the re-siding of the garage at the 2000 King Philip Street rental house will begin next week. The work will be done by local contractor Mosman Home Improvement. Mosman will also be putting a new roof on the garage. The siding job will be paid through FY17 Borden Colony funds, and the roof through FY18 Borden Colony funds.
- The childcare administrator position has been offered to and accepted by Jordan DaSilvia. The recent college graduate holds a degree in education and will be starting on Aug. 2, 2017.
The following summer and fall field-use requests were acted on:
- Raynham Masters (OTHSL) requests the use of the Burke and MLArruda soccer fields, as well as the multi-purpose field for 8:00 to 10:00 a.m. Sunday games between Aug. 27 and Nov. 12, 2017. Andrea reported that there are no conflicts and Chris made a motion to approve this request with a field-use fee of $550; Josh seconded the motion and the two voted in favor of the motion.
Chairman Jim Brow arrived at this point in the meeting.
- Crossfit Raynham requests the use of either Merrill complex ball field #5 or #6 for a tournament on Aug. 19, 2017, beginning at 11 a.m. Chris made a motion to approve with a fee of $120; Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
- Bridgewater Men’s Softball League requests the use of the Borden Colony softball field for a charity softball tournament on July 22, 2017, starting at 8 a.m. Chris made a motion to approve with a fee of $120; Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
- The RI Bulldogs Lacrosse requests the use of the Burke soccer field for team tryouts on Aug. 24 and 30, 2017 from 5 to 9 p.m. Chris made a motion to approve with a fee of $240; Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
- Coyle and Cassidy High School requests the use of the Borden Colony cross country trails for meets to be held on Sept. 12, Oct. 4, 11, and 17, 2017 from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. Chris made a motion to approve with a fee of $550; Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
Chris noted that the fence at the Pleasant Street basketball courts has been removed and Andrea responded that it was taken down by Norm and his crew. Chris also reported that he attended a RYBSA meeting where he urged better communication with the Department and discussed the protocols in place for any facility changes or improvements. There was some question raised about the field-use fee set for RYBSA’s June softball tournament at the June 2017 Commission meeting. It is double what it was a year ago. Commissioners revisited this and a motion was made to amend the previously set fee of $1,000 to $500. Chris put this in the form of a motion which was seconded by Josh, and a unanimous vote followed.
The Chairman indicated that he plans to attend a Raynham Giants meeting next week to urge keeping open the lines of communication with the Department.
Andrea presented one summer program scholarship request received by the Department:
- An unemployed family of five requests assistance for the full-day attendance of two children. Chris made a motion to offer the family two weeks of 50% reduction of weekly fees for each child. Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:27 p.m.
Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary