MINUTES OF THE RAYNHAM PARK & RECREATION COMMISSION
Regular Monthly Meeting, Nov. 14, 2017, 6:00 p.m.
South School, 305 South Street East, Raynham, MA
In Attendance: Commissioner Josh Daisy, Commissioner Chris Shaw, Director Andrea Berardi, and Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary SJ Blanchard.
Absent: Chairman Jim Brow.
In light of the Chair’s absence, Chris Shaw called the meeting to order at 6:06 p.m. Josh made a motion to approve the minutes of the Oct. 3, 2017 meeting. Chris seconded the motion and the two voted in favor of the motion.
Andrea reported on the following:
- Relative to the proposed use of the Gymkhana building as a site for the cat adoption program and the related fall town meeting article to fund necessary renovations to the building, it was pointed out by Town Counsel at the previous evening’s fall town meeting that under the Commonwealth’s existing Agricultural Preservation Restriction, land and structures at Borden Colony cannot be utilized for this purpose as it falls under neither recreation nor agriculture.
- She will explore the development of a municipal dog park, as issues continue to arise with canines being brought to the athletic fields.
- The article requesting funds for field signs passed at the fall town meeting.
- Burke Field near the Merrill School is in need of a facelift.
- Winterizations at Borden Colony and the Gymkhana building have been completed; Bettencourt Field will be done this week.
- The Highway Dept. grounds crew is now responsible for outdoor upkeep around the town hall, fire, and police departments.
Chris reported that the Oct. 21 dedication of the refurbished outdoor basketball courts went well, and called the facilities “a good addition to that recreation area there.” The new parking area at the site remains unfinished. Andrea noted that approximately $3,000 remains in the Park & Rec account earmarked for the courts. Chris added that he hopes that other needed facility facelifts can be accommodated in the next budget season.
Andrea distributed copies of the 2017 field-use permit applications and asked that the Commissioners review them for any changes prior to the December meeting, adding that there seemed to be no issues with the current forms.
Andrea reported that the Department’s youth basketball program will begin on Dec. 4th and that the boys’ numbers are good but more girls are needed. The childcare programs are running smoothly, but lengthy wait lists remain. The fall STEM and Lil’ Sports programs at the South School went very well.
The annual tree lighting will take place on Saturday, Dec. 2 at 3:30 p.m.
Andrea will look into the 501C3 status for the Monti playground. An updated organizational chart and bylaws are needed for its continued non-tax, non-profit classification.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:29 p.m.
Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary