Skip Navigation
Photos of Raynham
Raynham, Massachusetts.  Incorporated 1731

This table is used for column layout.


UniPay Online Payment Center


Raynham Town Seal
 
Route 138 Zoning Study Committee Minutes-May 22, 2006
FINAL MINUTES FOR THE RAYNHAM ROUTE 138 ZONING STUDY COMMITTEE MEETING ON MAY 22, 2006



The meeting of the Raynham Route 138 Zoning Study Committee was called to order at 5:20 p.m.

Economic and Business Development Commission Present:  
  Joseph Pacheco
Staff present:  Erika Ueberbacher, Conservation Agent; Richard McCarthy, Town Planner
SRPEDD Present:  Greg Guimond  
Members Present:  Joseph Pacheco, Chairman
Voting Members Present:  Harry R. Carey
                                Frank Rozenas
                                Rev. Michael Scarlett
                                Louis Bousquet
                                Tony Ghelfi
Appointed Advisory member present:  N/A  
Guests present:  Chris Dowd, Carla McRae (Help Raynham), Dave McRae (Help Raynham), Bill Vareika (Help Raynham), Robin Burns (Help Raynham)





                      
The meeting of the Raynham Route 138 Zoning Study Committee was closed at 6:47 p.m.

Economic and Business Development Commission present:  
  Joseph Pacheco
Staff present:  Erika Ueberbacher, Conservation Agent; Richard McCarthy, Town Planner
SRPEDD present:  Greg Guimond
Members Present:  Joseph Pacheco, Chairman
Voting Members Present:  Harry R. Carey
                                Frank Rozenas
                                Rev. Michael Scarlett
                                Louis Bousquet                          
Appointed Advisory member present:  N/A
Guests present:  Chris Dowd, Carla McRae (Help Raynham), Dave McRae (Help Raynham), Bill Vareika (Help Raynham), Robin Burns (Help Raynham)                   


1.      5/1 Meeting Minutes

        VOTE TO:
        Accept minutes as printed from 5/1/06.



        MOTION MADE BY:
Joe Pacheco
Harry R. Carey
        Frank Rozenas
        Rev. Michael Scarlett
        Louis Bousquet
Tony Ghelfi

        MOTION SECONDED BY:
Joseph Pacheco
Harry R. Carey
        Frank Rozenas
        Rev. Michael Scarlett
        Louis Bousquet
Tony Ghelfi

        VOTE:
Joseph Pacheco
Harry R. Carey
        Frank Rozenas
        Rev. Michael Scarlett
        Louis Bousquet
Tony Ghelfi




2.      Review of Rt. 138 packet

DISCUSSION:
Richard McCarthy stated that the Rt. 138 Study Committee is to look at the entire Rt. 138 corridor from the Easton line to the Taunton line, which includes looking at the district boundaries.  He urged the Commission to look at what its present design is as far as zoning.
The purpose of the study is to determine what makes the best sense for the overall growth of the Town.  He would like for the Committee to look at market conditions, and to take into consideration the residents that live on the corridor, use the corridor, and those that surround the corridor.  He, once again, mentioned the idea of mixed use, and stated that this is not there today in the zoning.  He, also, asked the Committee to look at classifications, such as business, industrial, and determine if this is outdated, and needs to be changed.  He mentioned that in the ’99 Master Plan there was some thought about making it all one classification in zoning from Easton to Taunton, however, at this point in time, it might not be the best approach, and needs to be revisited.
The other critical part of the Committee is to determine what the development should look like, from how it gets built to signage to parking to landscaping.  He asked the Committee not to replicate Rt. 44, but to develop design guidelines specific to Rt. 138.
Lastly, he mentioned that the grant that they did not receive last year is now open again, and it is due the end of June, and if we get it, it can be used to expand some different areas.
Greg Guimond, from SRPEDD, then gave a presentation, and spoke about the boundaries.  He mentioned that the western boundary used to be the old railroad bed.  It crosses over 138 south of 495 so it doesn’t work as a boundary.  He mentioned that it might be best to go with a certain distance from 138, or pick out individual property lines to use as boundaries instead.  He stated that the wetland area might be a good place to make a boundary line.  
Greg reviewed what we currently see on 138, and the different types of uses.
The Committee thought they might start with a 500’ deep boundary line, and determined that Oak Street might be a good boundary line.

DECISION:
Richard McCarthy, and Greg from SRPEDD, will email a map detailing the above-mentioned boundaries for everyone to review, and it will be discussed at the next meeting, and a formal vote will be taken.
Richard McCarthy, and Greg from SRPEDD, will update Greg’s traffic analysis based on the Wal-Mart traffic analysis, and revise that slide, if needed.  It can be discussed at the meeting if it is a big impact.

 
3.      Help Raynham concerns, issues, and goals

DISCUSSION:
Carla McRae of Help Raynham asked what the Town could do to slow development down on the end of Rt. 138.  She is looking for some sort of zoning change that can be put in place now to slow down development.  Richard McCarthy mentioned that what they did, at one point in time, was to put in place special permits so they could take the time to evaluate what was being proposed.  He stated that the procedure for doing this is to go to Town meeting with a boundary interim plan overlay district, a defined area, and, then, criteria to correspond with it.  Greg stated that these types of special permits are for larger commercial or industrial type pieces, not for single-family homes.  Dave McRae of Help Raynham stated that what they are looking for is low-impact development such as small Dr. offices, law offices, research and development offices, and insurance companies.  He mentioned that these types of businesses would bring people into Raynham from 9-5 p.m., M-F, and these people would determine that they should just move to Raynham instead of commuting into Town everyday, and this would increase the value of the properties in Town.   The idea was thrown out of perhaps a Johnson & Johnson type business coming into Town, and Help Raynham stated that it depends on the number of employees.  In determining whether or not Help Raynham would welcome a Johnson & Johnson type business onto 138 was also determined by if the North Raynham water district would have the water.  Erika Ueberbacher stated that that would also be a good question for boundaries, and that it would be helpful to have the water and sewer district departments come in to let us know what they have.
There was, then, some discussion on perhaps adding in some family style restaurants, or a movie theatre.  Help Raynham participants said they would not be opposed to family style restaurants coming into Rt. 138.
Some discussion followed that the Committee needs to look at permitted uses now, and redefine them as what they want to see, and what they do not want to see, and what the market is for each idea presented.  It was mentioned that there are no more liquor licenses for Rt. 138.  The idea of mixed use was brought up again, along the lines of an office building on the bottom floor, and retail on the top floor, or vice versa.  
It was determined that it might be helpful to have the water and sewer departments come in for a meeting, as well as Mass Highway.
Lastly, Joe Pacheco stated that the goal for the plan is November of 2006.  He would like to have this concluded, and make a full presentation to Economics in October, and present the plan at the November Town meeting.

DECISION:
-Joe Pacheco to send a letter to the water and sewer departments stating the Rt. 138 Committee’s goals, and asking them to attend a meeting and give their input on what they have available for increased business on 138.


4.      Topics for next meeting on June 5

        DISCUSSION:
        -Review Wal-Mart; update Greg’s presentation with traffic analysis; looking for recommendations on zoning; need to vote and agree on boundaries for 138; draft outline to recommend to Wal-Mart
-Determine allowable uses on 138
-Determine what type of district(s) will be allowed on 138

        
5.      Other

DISCUSSION:
-There is a vacancy on the Board as Marsha Silvia resigned.  Chris Dowd submitted a letter to become a member of the Board.  Joe Pacheco is recommending Chris Dowd to be appointed.
-BioDiversity Day, Johnson Pond and Borden Colony Clean Up is scheduled from 10-12 p.m. on Saturday, June 3.  We will be receiving free bags from the Highway Department.
        -Asking the Water and Sewer Departments to come in on June 19.
        -The goal is to work and meet between 1-2 hours per meeting date.


Tony Ghelfi leaves at 6:20 p.m.


TIME MEETING CLOSED:  6:47 p.m.; reconvene June 5 at 5:15 p.m.


MOTION TO CLOSE BY:
Joseph Pacheco
Harry R. Carey
        Frank Rozenas
        Rev. Michael Scarlett
        Louis Bousquet

MOTION SECONDED BY:
Joseph Pacheco
Harry R. Carey
        Frank Rozenas
        Rev. Michael Scarlett
        Louis Bousquet

        VOTE:
Joseph Pacheco
Harry R. Carey
        Frank Rozenas
        Rev. Michael Scarlett
        Louis Bousquet



 
Town of Raynham 558 South Main St., Raynham, MA 02767
Virtual Towns & Schools Website