The Raynham Planning Board held a meeting on Thursday, January 16, 2014, at Raynham Veterans' Memorial Town Hall. Chairman Andrade opened the meeting at 6:02 p.m.
Board members present: Daniel Andrade, Burke Fountain, Henry Ellis, Russell Driscoll
Board members not present: Christopher Gallagher
Staff present: John Charbonneau, Director Planning & Community Development; Maureen McKenney, Administrative Assistant
6:03 p.m. – 407 New State Highway: William McCaffrey, East Taunton, MA, owner of the property, appeared before the Board to discuss a new use at his business plaza. He explained that the Board previously approved a site plan for the Subway shop at the plaza and at that time it was determined ample parking was provided along with two extra spaces. Mr. McCaffrey stated that in an effort to increase revenue without increasing rents on tenants at the plaza, he wants to display a chicken coop in one of the existing parking spots. The chicken coops are made by Amish builders and are 4 ft. by 6 ft. in size.
Mr. Andrade noted that recently Town Meeting had approved a change to the by-laws prohibiting roosters in residential areas. Mr. McCaffrey stated that the building inspector recommended he appear before the Planning Board to discuss whether or not his plan is possible.
Mr. McCaffrey noted there will be a sign on the display chicken coop informing people to go into nearby Copy-to-Copy for detailed information to purchase a chicken coop, and the additional coops will be stored in the back of the building.
After discussion Board members agreed Mr. McCaffrey’s plan to display one chicken coop as proposed will not require additional parking and they were okay with the concept. Mr. Andrade noted the Board was not sure if the building inspector will need to issue a permit. It was agreed the Board had no issue with displaying one coop in one parking spot only.
6:12 p.m. – General Business: Invoices were paid. It was noted Carriage Hill Estates Phase II is in need of additional project review funds. Mr. Andrade moved to request additional $500 for deposit into the account; second by Mr. Fountain. Motion passed three in favor and Mr. Driscoll abstained from the matter.
Mill Pond Open Space subdivision: Letter dated December 10, 2013 was received from James B. Williams, Trustee, Mill Street Realty Trust, Raynham, MA. Mr. Williams requested to withdraw the Mill Pond open-space subdivision plan and asked that the application fees be returned. It was noted that a public hearing on the plan had never been scheduled at the request of Mr. Williams. Mr. Fountain moved to approve the request for withdrawal of the plan and to return the fees; second by Mr. Andrade. Motion passed by unanimous vote (4-0).
Letter dated January 2, 2014 was received from Dennis Machado, Building Commissioner/ Zoning Enforcement Officer, regarding a zoning violation related to removal of fencing that was part of the approved Town Hall site plan. Letter dated January 13, 2014 was received from Town Administrator Randall Buckner requesting the Board approve as a minor modification to the Town Hall site plan the removal of five panels of stockade fence between the Town property and abutter Dolan’s property and allowing the panels to be replaced with a row of arborvitaes. Board members agreed they had no issue with the request and it was believed the abutter approved of the change. Mr. Fountain moved to approve the request per Mr. Buckner’s January 13th letter; second by Mr. Ellis. Motion passed by unanimous
vote (4 – 0).
Correspondence was received from SRPEDD regarding technical assistance. Mr. Charbonneau will handle the matter.
Minutes of December 5, 2013 were received. Mr. Fountain moved to waive the reading and approve as submitted; second by Mr. Driscoll. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
Town Planner update:
- Raynham Park, Phase I – Mr. Charbonneau informed the Board that the building inspector received new information and has determined there is nothing that triggers the need for site plan approval for Phase I of a proposed slot casino at Raynham Park. Site plan approval will not be needed for Phase I but will be needed for Phase II of the casino.
- There is a need for a Planning Board member on the Raynham Development Revolving Fund Board of Overseers. Mr. Andrade offered to be on the committee. Mr. Ellis is also on the committee as a TIF committee representative.
- The Route 138 zoning committee met last week and they will be working towards a modified overlay district.
- Memo dated December 17, 2013 regarding deed procedures for road acceptance was received from Mr. Charbonneau. It was agreed that final project funds should not be released to a developer if a recorded street deed has not been submitted.
- There was discussion of an amendment to subdivision regulations Section 7.17.4., Converting Covenant to Another Performance Guarantee, b. Estimate. It was agreed the language will be changed to require surety not to exceed 30% of an estimate rather than the 135% as now stated. The Board will hold a public hearing both amendments once the new language is finalized.
- Work is being done to update and improve the GIS data base.
- Mr. Charbonneau informed the Board he is working with Bob Smith of the Conservation Commission on a possible grant for a boat ramp easement to the Taunton River off South St. East.
There was no further business and the public meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m. so the Board could go into Executive Session.
Raynham Planning Board,
Christopher J. Gallagher, Clerk