MINUTES OF THE RAYNHAM PARK & RECREATION COMMISSION
Regular Monthly Meeting, May 2, 2017, 6:00 p.m.
South School, 305 South Street East, Raynham, MA
In Attendance: Commissioner Jim Brow, Commissioner Josh Daisy, Commissioner Chris Shaw, Director Elizabeth Francis, and Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary SJ Blanchard.
Chris S. called the meeting to order at 6:12 p.m. Jim B. made a motion to approve the minutes of the April 4, 2017 meeting. Chris S. seconded the motion and the two voted in favor.
Chris welcomed recently-elected commissioner Josh Daisy to the board.
Chris then nominated Jim Brow as commission chairman for the coming year. Jim seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
In attendance at this meeting were recent-past commissioner Jim Sullivan and Park & Rec childcare administrator Andrea Berardi.
Chris made a motion to accept the April 2, 2017 letter from Elizabeth Francis, in which she resigned her position as Raynham Park & Recreation director. Jim seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed. Chris made a motion to appoint Andrea Berardi as acting interim director until such time that the director position is filled. Jim seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
Liz reported on the following:
- The recent MA Dept. of Early Education and Care inspection of our Merrill before-school program went well; the department was cited for two minor non-compliances (training hours and menu posting).
- The department is currently planning for this summer’s playground program. She recommends keeping the registration cost the same as last summer’s program as it was raised $10 per family at that time.
- Relative to the repairs necessary to the garage at the 2000 King Philip Street rental house, she advised the commission that they may want to consider putting the work back out to bid seeking three quotes. Only two bids were received from the previous bid process. The jobs should be split into two halves: one for re-siding the garage and one for re-roofing it and replacing the garage doors.
- The Raynham Public Library will be holding a preschool story hour on three Friday mornings in May from 10:30 to 11:30 at the Monti preschool playground at Borden Colony.
- Program Coordinator Heather Nix is projected to return from maternity leave on June 26, which will be one week before the start of the summer playground program.
- A new gate has been installed at Reid Field. A replacement needs to be ordered for first base at the Borden Colony softball field.
The following spring and summer field-use requests were acted on:
- Raynham Giants Youth Football requests the use of Bettencourt Field and the Mill Street field from Aug. 8 to Nov. 26, 2017; Saturday and Sunday use would be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Monday through Fridays from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Jim made a motion to accept this fall permit request; Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
- South Shore Rox seeks the use of three baseball fields between May 7 and Sept. 7, 2017. Specifically, they need the use of fields from 4 to 8 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well as from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Liz pointed out that the weekday use is doubtful due to scheduling conflicts and that the fields will not be available every weekend. Jim made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $1,100; Josh seconded and a unanimous vote followed.
- The Mass. District Select Program requests the use of one soccer field from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays between June 27 and August 4, 2017, as well as for select single try-out dates. Jim made a motion to accept this request with a fee of $550. Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
- PLU, Inc. representative Ginny Trainor requests the use of Reid Field and the Borden Colony softball field for the annual breast cancer softball fundraiser to be held from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Aug. 5 and 6, 2017. Jim made a motion to accept with no fee; Josh seconded the motion and a unanimous vote followed.
- Taunton Spirit FC group requests the use of a soccer field from May 24 to Aug. 8, 2017 from 6 to 9 p.m. on either Sundays or Wednesdays. Jim made a motion to approve this request with a fee of $550; Josh seconded and a unanimous vote followed.
- Raynham Pride Day committee head Kevin Ellis requests the use of the gazebo lawn area on Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017 with a rain date of Sept. 24. Jim made a motion to accept with no fee; Josh seconded and a unanimous vote followed.
Chris stated that he was contacted by Selectman Joe Pacheco relative to the refurbishing of the Pleasant Street outdoor basketball courts. Joe indicated that he will serve as liaison between the highway and the school departments to keep the project on track and moving along.
Jim asked that a locksmith be called to fix the lock on the main entrance door to the office building. Liz suggested that Palmer Lock & Key of Raynham be contacted and SJ said that she would call them the next day.
Commissioners discussed the interview process for the director position. Chris stated that 29 resumes had been received through the April 28, 2017 deadline. Twenty were deemed to be unqualified for the posting’s stated education and experience requirements. Copies of the resumes submitted by the remaining nine applicants were distributed to the commissioners for review prior to the interviewing process. Chris suggested that the three commissioners and recent-past commissioner Jim Sullivan each compose one interview question which will be asked of each applicant. He will contact each of the nine applicants and arrange for interviews to be held on Wed., May 10, 2017, beginning at 5 p.m. at the South School.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:57 p.m.
Administrative Assistant/Recording Secretary